TWIB NOTES: 5/18
CLOSING THOUGHTS: “THERE’S NEVER NOT BAND”
It’s very challenging to put closing thoughts for this year in an impersonal weekly announcement document. There will be many thoughtful words and sentiments that will go out to our Class of 2020 and our school this week. I’ll throw out some not-so-elegant words I’ve used in the past here: “There’s never not band.” These word’s couldn’t have any less impact right now more than ever. I usually say these words when there is threatening weather at 6:30am and we move marching band rehearsal inside. Maybe you’ve heard me say these words when you hear thunder 8th period on a Friday afternoon in the Fall. There’s truly never not band at AHS! For this moment, substitute anything you want for “band.” There’s never not __________. Seniors – there’s never not__________. Through band, we’ve learned that we go on regardless of circumstance. We go on even if people tell us we can’t. We go on because of those people that clap for us. We go on because there are people in our lives that help us go on. Those of you graduating, coming back next year, or not returning: “There’s never not band!”
There is still communicating left. While the school year has ended and graduation will happen, we are still planning on a community event for everyone when we are allowed to gather (hopefully this summer). We’ll communicate that event as soon as our community will allow. Later this week I would like to recognize our seniors. We aren’t going to host a virtual awards program, but I would like to recognize our award winners and our senior scholarship students (they already know who they are, but I would like to publicly recognize them). I want to keep this week’s TWIB notes simple since we have two important announcements that must be done this week: At-Home Learning & Required Curbside Closing procedures.
AT-HOME LEARNING REMINDER
Please finish last week’s (5/11-5/15) assignments AND this week’s (5/18-5/20) assignments today (Sunday, 5/17). Next week’s assignment is a simple four-question survey.
REQUIRED CURBSIDE CLOSING PROCEDURES (MAY 20-21)
Please sign-up for a curbside check-in procedure: click link below. You will be required to bring back your concert uniform, instrument, guard equipment, accessories (mutes), music folders, and pay any financial obligations. Directors will clean out your lockers and bring all items to the curb (based on the assigned locker in Charms). Sign-ups will be in 15-minute periods and should take minutes to complete. Please make sure you are available May 20 or May 21 to close out the year.
- AISD INSTRUMENTS
- If you have an AISD instrument, you must bring it and read off serial number to director to check.
- If your AISD instrument needs repair and you are returning next year, you will need to tell us what needs repair and you will need to bring it to the Allen Music & Arts. You will need to pay the repair fee here (not at Music & Arts).
- If you are a senior or not returning, you will need to turn the instrument in for inspection and pay for any repairs here. You will be required to play your instrument. Bring reeds/mouthpieces.
- REPAIR FEES: From Band Handbook: “Students will be issued a $25 repair fee if the cost of the repair is [estimated at] $99 or less or $50 repair fee if the cost of the repair is [estimated at] $199 or less. The directors will assess an appropriate fee if the cost of the repair is [estimated at] $200 or more.”
- Concert Uniforms
- #1: Tux jacket, tux pants, shirt, tie/cummerbund
- #2: Black formal dress
- Sign-Up Link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A054EA5AF29AAFA7-ahslfc
- Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12YoGIZuPKy4dKxDNo9vv-CCdO7750w5T
JAZZ BAND AUDITION PROCESSED & ROSTERS SET
Jazz band auditions have been processed and the results are posted below – scroll down. Remember that the Varsity Jazz Band will meet 7th Period. Junior Varsity will meet after school on Mondays. Mr. Daniels will directly communicate with next year’s jazz bands.
ABBA Members can now renew their membership for the 2020-2021 year. Simply go to www.allenband.com.membership. If you are currently a member please renew your membership. If you are not, we welcome you to join.
ABBA is still looking to fill board positions. Open positions include 2nd VP Ways and Means, 3rd VP Logistics, 6th VP Student Specialties. If you are interested in serving in one of these positions please contact email@example.com
We also need volunteers to serve on committees in the 2020-2021 school year. If you are interested in serving on a committee go to, https://www.allenband.com/content.aspx?page_id=2664&club_id=207916